Thursday, October 30, 2008

Blue light specials and first time bra's

A friend posted a while back about her Grandma and mentioned KMART'S blue light special in the blog. It brought back a fond (not really fond, embarrassing is more like it)memory and I am all about posting things that could embarrass myself.
I can talk about bra's here, right?
I unfortunately started wearing bra's a lot earlier than most of my friends. I had some friends (no lie and you probably know people like this yourself)that didn't start wearing bra's until High School. I wont mention any names. My mom had my dad drive us out to KMART (she didn't get her license until she was 65)to go shopping for my first bra. What do we find while shopping for that first training bra? A blue light special. Just to let you know, I did not want to be there, I didn't want to get my bra at KMART and I didn't want my dad to have to drive us to the store so that I could get a bra. It didn't start out great I should have known. My mom saw the blue light in all it's glory and we had to hurry over to it. Bra's on sale, yeah. All shapes and colors. My mom found the training bra's and proceeded to take them out of the boxes and one by one try them on me over my clothes. That was the icing on the cake. Horrified is not even close to how I felt. In the end I did walk away with a bra. I wore it to school the next day and hated it so badly that I went into the bathroom and took it off. I stuck it in my backpack and didn't wear it again for a while. Not until it was very apparent that I needed to wear one.


Sofia is telling me now that her friends are wearing bra's. She keeps asking Kiah and I if we think she needs to wear one. There's nothing there. She will be like my friends that started everything later. She has plenty of years to wear one, she will hate them like the rest of us. Why start now if you don't have to? I for sure will never try them over her clothes at a blue light special or any special for that matter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Gotta love those blue light specials.

Anonymous said...

O.k. Believe it or not I was called pancakes in elementary school. But I do know the horrors of bra shopping I think I'm still scared today by it because I still hate going to buy them.

Heath694 said...

I had a similar horrifying experience with my first bras. Like you, I needed a bra before the rest of my friends. I was also not proud of that fact. I had three older siblings to make fun of me when I did end up wearing one, let alone all the kids at school. I was very self-conscious! Plus, most of the criticism was self-inflicted.

So when Oivia came to me asking if she could wear a bra, I thought, "This kid wants to wear a bra?" Well, okay, who am I to say she needed to feel weird and uncomfortable about it. I was happy it seemed like she thought of it as just a "cool, fun" thing. Plus, I could see she could use one when she was at dance class wearing those leotards:)! So, she is wearing them--everyday--even though I said she didn't have to. She loves them and that to me makes me happy she'll be left out of feeling weird about it. Everyone is different and I hope Olivia will be excited about growing up.

Sofi may not be as ready!